A building permit is required for:
- Construction or demolition of a building or structure
- Installations or alterations involving:
- The removal or addition of any wall, partition, or portion thereof
- Any structural component
- The repair or replacement of any required component of a fire or smoke rated assembly
- The alteration of any required means of egress system
- Fire protection system, or
- Any equipment regulated by the Uniform Statewide Building Code(USBC)
- For change of occupancy, application for a permit shall be made when a new certificate of occupancy is required. A new certificate of occupancy is required when the change of occupancy requires a greater degree of structural strength, fire protection, means of egress, ventilation, or sanitation.
- Movement of a lot line that increases the hazard to or decreases the level of safety of an existing building or structure in comparison to the building code under which such building or structure was constructed.
- Removal or disturbing of any asbestos containing materials during the construction or demolition of a building or structure, including additions.