Personal Property / Vehicle Taxes
Personal property tax notices are no longer sent out by the commissioners office to existing residents in January; however, city ordinance requires residents to notify our office within 30 days if they change their address or acquire or dispose of a vehicle.
- New residents or those registering a vehicle for the first time must file a personal property vehicle registration form within 30 days after purchase or entry into the city
- For vehicles, the tax is based on the JANUARY 1 clean trade-in value as listed in the National Automobile Dealers Association Used Car Guide published in January of the current tax year.
- A vehicle is subject to tax if it is normally garaged or parked in the city, even if registered in another state
- The current tax rate for personal property in Manassas City is $3.60 for each $100 of assessed value
- Certain motor vehicles are exempt from the personal property tax
- If you believe that your vehicle has been over-assessed, you can appeal the assessment
- You can apply for a high-mileage deduction here