Sonia Vasquez Luna
Sonia Vasquez Luna was sworn in on January 3 as the first Hispanic elected to the Manassas City Council. She will serve a four-year term.
A native of El Salvador, she came to the U.S. in 2001 and took English classes at night while working to support her mother and sisters. She and her then active-duty military family moved to Manassas in 2010, attracted by the City’s affordable housing. She earned an A.S. degree in Business Administration from Northern Virginia Community College, and a B.A. in Business Administration from the National Labor College.
She became the first immigrant woman elected Business Manager for LIUNA Local 572, (Laborers International Union of North America), and won reelection in May 2022. She also serves as the LIUNA District Council Secretary-Treasurer; Executive Board Member on the LIUNA Latino Caucus; National Executive Board Member on the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA); and Northern Virginia Labor Federation, AFL-CIO Second Vice President. She worked as an election officer for over a decade in Fairfax County, in Prince William County, and in the City, and served on the Towing Ordinance Advisory Board.
She is the mother of two children attending Manassas City Public Schools.
- LIUNA District Council Secretary-Treasurer
- Executive Board Member on the LIUNA Latino Caucus
- Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA) National Executive Board Member
- LCLAA Si Podemos Fund Chair Woman
- LCLAA DC Chapter Vice President
- Northern Virginia Labor Federation, AFL-CIO Second Vice President
- Sonia served as an election officer for over a decade in Fairfax County, Prince William County, and Manassas City.
- Manassas City served in Towing Ordinance Advisory Board
- Appointments Committee
- Historic Resources Board
- Metropolitan Washington Air Quality Committee