Route 28 Widening Project
Groundbreaking for the Route 28 Widening Project on May 26, 2021
The Route 28 Widening Project is a collaborative effort to enhance mobility in the region. The project includes:
- Widening Route 28 from 4 lanes to 6 lanes from Godwin Drive to the southern Prince William County limit, reducing congestion for commuters traveling from western Prince William County to I-66.
- Adding a dual left turn lane on north-bound Route 28 to serve Godwin Drive, making it safer for travelers who exit the 234 Bypass to merge and turn on Godwin Drive.
- Improving traffic signals and street lighting.
- Adding a Bike/Pedestrian shared use path to grow the city's trail system and make it safer for cyclists and pedestrians to get around.
- Funding for this project is made possible through Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) regional revenues, and city funds. The total cost is $20.2 million.
- Completion of the project is expected in Spring 2023.