Stormwater Pollution Prevention: Winter Salt Strategies
What You Can Do to Help
Look into alternative methods to cut down or eliminate your need to use rock salt.
- Organic salt free de-icers are better for the environment and are safe to use around pets. These products can be found online and in local stores.
- Sand, coffee grounds, and ash are also good alternatives, but each negatively affect runoff by increasing the amount of sediments and solids going into streams. So, sweep up excess sand and other traction agents to prevent them from going down stormwater drains.
If you are going to use rock salt, the BEST way to minimize potential damage is to "Use Less Salt."
- Spread it across a surface evenly, instead of in mounds. A little goes a long way.
- Shovel more often to curb your need for salt.
- Sweep up extra salt after a storm and trash it so that it doesn't make it's way into your drinking water again.
For additional information Connect to DEQ (Virginia Department of Environmental Quality).