What constitutes a criminal street gang?
- Has three or more members
- Commits crimes as a primary activity
- Is identified by name, sign, or symbol
- Has members who individually or collectively commit two or more predicate criminal acts, one of which is violent. (There is a broad array of predicate acts, which ranges from murder to certain drug violations.)
What are the signs of gang participation and activity?
- Common dress or colors of clothing, or common tattoos within a group
- Use of hand signs
- Graffiti-type artwork in school notebooks or on bedroom walls
- Referring to a peer group as family