Fire Marshal James Hartnett
The Fire Marshal is responsible for fire inspections, investigating the causes of fires and enforcing the fire code.
Fire Marshal James Hartnett has 18 years experience in Fire Prevention and is certified as a Fire Inspector II, Fire Investigator II, and Law Enforcement Officer through the Virginia Department of Fire Programs. In 2012 he was certified as a Fire Official by the State Board of Housing and Community Development.
During his career, from 1999 - 2008 he has served at the rank of Fire Inspector I, II and III in the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. In the summer of 2008 he joined the City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department at the rank of Lieutenant/Deputy Fire Marshal and was promoted to the rank of Fire Marshal / Deputy Emergency Management Coordinator in November 2016.
- NAFI - National Association of Fire Investigators
- IAAI - International Association of Arson Investigators, Virginia Chapter
- NFPA - National Fire Protection Association
- VFPA - Virginia Fire Prevention Association, Board Member, Delegate-at-Large 2013 - 2015
- National Board of Fire Service Professional Qualifications
Local & Regional Committees
- DCSM Revision Committee
- Hoarding Task Force
- Nuisance & Abatement Task Force
- Special Events Planning Team
- COG Emergency Management Committee
- NOVA Emergency Managers Committee
- NOVA Fire Marshal Committee
- Northern Virginia Joint Committee on Fire & Arson