Bulk Waste and Large Items
Mattresses, sofas, shelves, and exercise equipment (the things that don't fit in the trash container) people go through a lot of them! But why can't you just set it out with the trash on trash day?
Here, in the City of Manassas, residents are permitted to set out bulk waste every week, all year long. But having this additional service does require a bit of organization, and when it comes to trash collection, timing is very important.
By scheduling bulk waste collection residents can make sure that what they are setting out can be collected by the City and that their bulk waste is collected quickly, keeping our streets clean and safe. Please be a good neighbor - do NOT dump your bulk waste on the street.
Please note that there is a maximum of 3 bulk waste items per collection.
Call (703) 257-8252 before 2 pm at least 24 hours before your trash collection day.
Planning a Big Move or Clean-up? Call Refuse and Recycling!
Planning a big move or clean-up can be pretty stressful. When it comes to packing up – or cleaning out, many people forget to plan for trash removal. This can result in incidents of excess bulk waste at the curb that often contain household hazardous waste and electronics. Here are 4 easy ways to reduce stress and avoid additional charges for removal:
- Rent a Courtesy Truck
The City offers working Street Department trucks for rental outside of working hours to help you dispose of large amounts of materials. The trucks cost $150.00 and all you need to do is load it up and we’ll do the rest. The trucks don’t take household hazardous waste like paint or electronics – but we do take a lot of other items. Call 703-257-8342 or visit our website for more information.
- Schedule curbside collection of your old televisions and computer monitors
- Call the Trashline on 703-257-8252 to schedule curbside collection of your old televisions and computer monitors. We collect scheduled items every Thursday.
- Schedule curbside collection of “bulk waste or large items”
- If it doesn’t fit into your trash container – you need to call the Trashline on 703-257-8252 to schedule curbside collection of your large item. Unscheduled items will not be collected and may result in additional charges for removal.
- Take your trash to the landfill at Dumfries Road
- City residents are permitted to take their trash to the Prince William County Landfill located at Dumfries Road. The City of Manassas is not part of Prince William County; therefore, City residents will pay $5.00 per vehicle per trip for the first 200 lbs., and $45.00 per ton for any amount over 200 lbs.
Call the Trashline on (703) 257-8252 during regular office hours for more information.
How do I schedule bulk waste/large item collection?
Setting out your bulk waste is as easy as:
- Call (703) 257-8252 before 2 pm at least 24 hours before your trash collection day.
- Report what you have to schedule for collection. Please be advised that you are limited to 3 items per collection.
- Set your bulk waste out at the curb the night before your collection day.
What are some examples of what I can set out?
Here are some of the household items and appliances often set out for collection:
Items not collected
The following items will NOT be collected at curbside:
- Automobile parts
- Car Batteries
- Cement, Concrete, Rocks, Stones, Bricks, Pavers
- Dead Animals, Dirt, Sod, Compost, Sand
- Cement Mixers
- Fire extinguishers
- Large amounts of construction debris
- Motor oil
- Propane or helium tanks
- Riding lawn mowers
- Fallen trees and tree stumps
- Whole decks or whole sections of fencing
*Televisions and Computer Monitors must be scheduled for collection.
If you are unsure about an item that you need to dispose of, please contact the Trashline on (703) 257-8252.
Can I set out construction debris?
The City of Manassas accepts small amounts of construction debris as bulk waste. Residents must call at least 24 hours ahead of their regularly scheduled collection day to arrange for collection. Residents are limited to one cubic yard (3' x 3' x 3') per week. Please call ahead to schedule collection on 703-257-8252
The following materials will be collected:
- Wood, including nonhazardous painted, treated and coated wood and wood products
- Wall coverings
- Plumbing fixtures
- Non-asbestos insulation
- Roofing shingles and other roof coverings
- Plastics that do not conceal waste
- Metal materials incidental to any of the materials above
What to do with large amounts of construction debris:
Some construction debris can be taken to the Manassas Transfer Station. Please contact them on 703-331-0800 for further information.
Residents may also rent the City’s courtesy truck for $150.
The Environmental Protection Agency has more information on disposing of construction material and a helpful guide for recycling. You can also visit the Metropolitan Washington Council of Government's site for local recycling information.
I don't see the item that I want to set out on the list.
There are many items that can be scheduled for bulk waste collection. If you don't see it mentioned in our lists - just call (703) 257-8252 and ask. It's much better to talk to someone and make sure than put your item out and then it doesn't get collected.
What do I do with glass?
The City accepts scheduled glass as bulk waste.
Here's how to set it out:
- As a safety precaution, all glass that is scheduled for collection must be packed in cardboard, sealed closed with tape, and labeled “GLASS”. Unpacked or loose glass will not be collected
- put any broken glass in a cardboard box for collection
You could receive a fine
- Plan on setting out small amounts at a time.
- Call the Trashline on (703) 257-8252 to schedule collection.
- Set out your extra trash the night before your trash day.
- Sort out your trash and recycling.
- (703) 257 - 8256 and book a Courtesy Truck for $150.