Arrange Your Own Cleanup Event
Now you can arrange your own community cleanup event with the help of our new Community Cleanup Guide. With information, tips, and checklists, this guide can help you and your neighbors keep your part of Manassas clean and beautiful too.
Our Volunteers Receive...
Our volunteer's safety is important to us. That's why all volunteers are provided with the items that they need for collection:
- Hi-Visibility Vests
- Gloves (not latex)
- Litter Pickers
- Pool Rakes (for stream cleanups)
- Brightly-colored Trash Bags
Cleanup Event Tips
- Check the weather report before you head out to your cleanup event.
- Park vehicles in a safe and legal parking area that doesn't obstruct traffic.
- Consider scheduling your litter cleanup during daytime hours when the traffic is relatively light.
- Always wear sturdy work or garden gloves and wash your hands afterward.
- Be prepared to encounter poisonous weeds like poison ivy or sumac which can cause skin irritations.
- Put your provided Hi-Visibility vest on before you start collecting and always face traffic as you work so drivers can see you.
- Wear long pants, a long-sleeve shirt, socks, and sturdy boots or shoes.
- Always designate a leader to keep track of volunteers and cleanup details.
- Avoid horseplay to ensure your safety and that of others.
- Provide at least one adult supervisor for every group of six young people under eighteen years of age.
- Always work in pairs
- Apply insect repellent before entering wooded areas or working near water.
- Do not step into high vegetation and stay alert. These areas are home to poisonous plants, snakes, and other wildlife.
- Dangerous or unsafe litter includes razor blades, syringes, hazardous household products, dead animals, condoms, all unlabeled jugs, bottles, and drums.
- If you encounter dangerous litter, make a note of the location and contact the City of Manassas at 703-257-8256. We will work together with the City of Manassas Environmental Task Force to investigate and resolve the incident as soon as possible.