Arrange Your Own Cleanup Event
Our Volunteers Receive...
Our volunteer's safety is important to us. That's why all volunteers are provided with the items that they need for collection:
- Hi-Visibility Vests
- Gloves (not latex)
- Litter Pickers
- Pool Rakes (for stream cleanups)
- Brightly-colored Trash Bags
Cleanup Event Tips
- Check the weather report before you head out to your cleanup event.
- Park vehicles in a safe and legal parking area that doesn't obstruct traffic.
- Consider scheduling your litter cleanup during daytime hours when the traffic is relatively light.
- Always wear sturdy work or garden gloves and wash your hands afterward.
- Be prepared to encounter poisonous weeds like poison ivy or sumac which can cause skin irritations.
- Put your provided Hi-Visibility vest on before you start collecting and always face traffic as you work so drivers can see you.
- Wear long pants, a long-sleeve shirt, socks, and sturdy boots or shoes.
- Always designate a leader to keep track of volunteers and cleanup details.
- Avoid horseplay to ensure your safety and that of others.
- Provide at least one adult supervisor for every group of six young people under eighteen years of age.
- Always work in pairs
- Apply insect repellent before entering wooded areas or working near water.
- Do not step into high vegetation and stay alert. These areas are home to poisonous plants, snakes, and other wildlife.
- Dangerous or unsafe litter includes razor blades, syringes, hazardous household products, dead animals, condoms, all unlabeled jugs, bottles, and drums.
- If you encounter dangerous litter, make a note of the location and contact the City of Manassas at 703-257-8256. We will work together with the City of Manassas Environmental Task Force to investigate and resolve the incident as soon as possible.