The City of Manassas provides curbside yard waste collection throughout the year to our service users. Yard waste is the organic waste generated by yard and lawn care and includes leaves, grass trimmings, brush, wood chips, and shrub and tree trimmings. Yard waste does not include stumps, whole trees, large branches or limbs, or clean-up from storm damage. Removal of trees that are trimmed or cut down by landscapers or tree services are the responsibility of the resident or property owner and will not be collected by the City.
How to Properly Prepare Your Yard Waste
Please remember that there are rules for setting out yard waste for collection:
- Yard waste can go in private containers or paper yard waste bags.
- Don’t overload the curb with your yard waste. All branches and brush must be bundled and tied with a 50 pound weight limit.
- No yard waste in plastic bags will be collected.
- Fallen tree limbs and branches over 4 feet in length and 3 inches in diameter will not be collected.
- No compost, dirt, sand, or stone will be collected.
- Please set yard waste out at the curb on Sunday night for collection on Monday.
When is Yard Waste Collected?
Yard waste is collected on Mondays for all City residents. Check the Yard Waste Collection schedule here!
My Yard Waste was Missed!
Please be advised that the trash/recycling contractor has from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. to collect the trash, recycling, bulk, and yard waste on your collection day. The cut off time for reporting a miss for same day pickup is 2 p.m. each day. Missed collections reported after 2 p.m. will be scheduled for collection on the next business day.
Report Missed Yard Waste Collection here!
What is Grasscycling?
If there are times when the grass has grown too much or too quickly, then rake the clippings and spread the excess clippings around vegetables or flowers. This will help inhibit weed growth while also retaining moisture. You might also want to add extra clippings to your compost pile, but keep in mind that the composting pile should never contain more than one-third of grass clippings.
So relax and grass cycle!
Yard Waste set out in plastic bags.
Loose branches or limbs set out as Yard Waste over four (4) feet in length and three (3) inches in diameter.
Setting out fallen trees, tree trunks, or tree limbs.
Loose yard waste.