Steps to Participate
Steps to Participate with a Housing Choice Voucher Family
To advertise your unit for rent with the Housing Choice Voucher Program, go to the Virginia Housing Search website.
City of Manassas
Department of Social Services
9324 West Street
Manassas, VA 20110
Please make sure all utilities are on and appliances in place prior to inspection.
A Housing Quality Standards inspection will be conducted by our inspector within 15 days. The tenant should not sign a lease or move into the unit until the unit has passed inspection. Once the unit passes, Virginia Housing will enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract with the landlord and the landlord and tenant enter into a lease with a copy to City of Manassas, DSS.
The beginning and ending dates of the lease must coincide with the beginning and ending dates of the (HAP) contract. After submission of the signed contract and a copy of your signed lease, payments will be sent at the beginning of each month.
Exterior Site and Property Requirements
Advantages of Leasing to a Housing Choice Voucher Participant
- Landlords receive a regular monthly payment, which covers a significant portion of the rent
- Units are kept occupied and profitable
- Landlords screen and select tenants they choose
- Landlords receive rent payment regardless if tenants income is reduced
- You can receive a tax deduction for rental property
- Pre-screen family to decide if suitable tenants for available unit
- Perform all owner obligations under HAP contract and lease
- Perform all management and rental functions
- Maintain unit in accordance with HQS
- Comply with equal opportunity requirements
- Prepare and furnish information required under the HAP contract
- Collect security deposit, rent, damage charges from tenant
- Enforce tenant obligations per the lease
- Pay for utilities and services (unless paid by family under lease agreement)