Liberia House and Grounds
Built in 1825
On the eve of the Civil War the plantation had grown into one of the largest and most successful in western Prince William County. With the labor of nearly 90 slaves the plantation produced grains and vegetables sold commercially in Washington City. The Weir’s also raised a large herd of Merino sheep as well as horses, cattle, and hogs
The Civil War
When Virginia seceded from the Union in 1861, William’s sons enlisted in the Confederate Army and he, now an old man, remained to operate the plantation. In the months following the secession, the nearby railroad junction of the Orange and Alexandria and Manassas Gap Railroad became a massive military encampment. By July, Liberia was pressed into service as the headquarters for General P. G. T. Beauregard, CSA and some reports also record its use as a hospital and "death house" after the Battle of First Manassas.
New Ownership & Donation
In 1888, Robert Weir sold the property to Robert Portner, a wealthy brewer from Alexandria, Virginia. The Portner family never lived at Liberia but did develop the property as a successful dairy operation. The Portner family kept Liberia until 1947 when they sold it to the Breeden family.
The house is open for special events and tours and is available for event rental. For more information about Liberia's restoration or to donate visit: