What is the project?
The City of Manassas is writing its first sustainability plan! The plan will help Manassas be kinder to the environment, help us do our part to make our city cleaner, and help guide future policies and projects. Sustainability has been identified in Chapter 8 of the City’s Comprehensive Plan as a priority for the Manassas community, and this plan will help make our goal of becoming more environmentally conscious a reality.
- Sustainability Task Force
- Citizen group guiding the decision-making process
- Comprised of representatives from City boards, commissions and citizen groups
- George Mason University (GMU)
- Brings students and professors to collect and analyze technical data and assist with modeling
- Helps develop sustainability plan and assist with implementation
- Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI)
- Local government cooperative with access to tools and training programs
- Provides technical support for the plan
Environmental sustainability covers subjects ranging from transportation and tree preservation to public health and water quality. Because so many different topics fall within the environmental sustainability umbrella, the project has been divided into phases.
Share FeedbackThe public comment period will occur once the Sustainability Plan is further in development with draft chapters and draft strategies. In the meantime, please feel free to fill out the survey link with input, suggestions or any feedback.
Overall Project Time Line:
- 2021: Phase 1 –Existing Conditions (GHG Data collection)
- Fall 2022: Phase 1 - Goals & Strategies
- Spring 2023: Phase 2
Matthew Arcieri, Community Development Director
email@example.com / 703-257-8232