The City of Manassas completed the purchase of 3.65 acres of land and the historic structure Annaburg Manor from the Prince William Hospital Corporation to preserve this important historic resource and create the city's 16th park in 2018.Annaburg, 9201 Maple Street, has a long history as a recreational destination. Robert Portner, the Prussian-born entrepreneur and Alexandria brewer who built the 1892 Annaburg as a summer retreat, generously enabled his neighbors to enjoy what was essentially a town park long before parks existed. After Robert and his wife Anna Portner passed away and the house was no longer occupied, residents recalled the grounds as a place to stroll, take photographs, and skate on the frozen ponds in winter. Residents and visitors also enjoyed attending the town’s Dairy Festival, 4th of July fireworks, and even church baptisms in the estate's pond. You can read more about Annaburg in the nomination package for the State and National Register Landmarks List.
In 2020 the City Council approved the restoration of the original slate roof, metal cornices and wood box gutters in order to preserve the manor for future generations. Community input will help inform future plans for the park and historic house. Find out more about Master Planning efforts.
Hear about restoration efforts: