COVID-19 Emergency Financial Assistance
The COVID-19 Emergency Financial Assistance Program was created to provide housing, childcare, and utility assistance to any Manassas City residents who are experiencing financial hardship and loss of income as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Manassas City Department of Social Services is prioritizing assistance to families and individuals who have lost income, have an increased financial burden, and can demonstrate the greatest need as a result of COVID-19. Payments will be made directly to landlords or mortgage companies, utility companies, and childcare providers for residents who live within the city limits. Assistance will be for the following:
- Utilities (electric, water, gas)
- Burial costs due to COVID
In order to qualify for assistance from the COVID-19 Emergency Financial Housing and Utility Assistance Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a resident of and living in Manassas City.
- Utilities must be in the applicant’s name for Utility Assistance.
- Households must provide documentation showing the loss of income or financial impact of COVID-19.
- Households must have a current and valid lease, sublease or mortgage agreement in the applicant’s name. All landlords/lenders, providers, utility companies must be able to accept a W-9 from the City of Manassas.
- Applicants must certify that they have not received CARES assistance during the previous 3 months.
- Applicants must sign a declaration of loss of employment or unemployment.
Who is not eligible?
- Households requesting rental/mortgage assistance who currently receive a Tenant-based voucher.
- Households requesting rental/mortgage assistance who are currently residing in Project-based Voucher projects.
- Households requesting rental/mortgage assistance who are currently residing in Public Housing.
- Households requesting rental/mortgage assistance who currently receive other government-based rental assistance.
- Households who do meet the requirements listed above.
- Households who have received CARES emergency relief in the past 3 months.
Examples of Acceptable Documentation
- Identification (proof of identification)
- Copy of pre-COVID-19 and post-COVID-19 paystubs demonstrating loss of income
- Copy of State Unemployment Benefit record
- Copy of letter from employer stating a layoff, furlough, or employment termination
- Copy of reduction of hours statement from the employer indicating cause-related for reduction
- Copy of utility bill or notice
- Copy of lease, sublease, or mortgage statement
- Copy of childcare agreement or contract
- Copy of letter from your landlord stating that applicant will be or has been evicted
- A letter or statement from the applicant detailing the loss of income
Assistance Per Household
- Monthly determination (Up to 6 months of assistance)
- Eligibility and amounts will be determined by Manassas City Department of Social Services and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- All assistance payments will be made directly to landlords, providers, utility companies, or creditor on behalf of the assisted household
The goal of this program is to process and fund accepted applications within 7 days. The process is as follows:
- Applicants fill out the application form and turn it in.
- For assistance completing the application form and assembling documents, please call 703-361-8277. This number is only for help in submitting the application.
- Assemble the supporting documentation as requested and submit the application package by:
- In-person or drop-box: 9324 West Street, Manassas VA 20110
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 571-921-8806