Building and Trade Permits
Construction permits are required to enforce the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code in accordance with state law. The purpose of the building code is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia, provided that buildings and structures should be permitted to be constructed at the least possible cost consistent with recognized standards of health, safety, energy conservation, and water conservation, including provisions necessary to prevent overcrowding, rodent or insect infestation, and garbage accumulation; and barrier-free provisions for the physically handicapped and aged.
- Items that do not Require a Permit
- Items that Require a Demolition Permit
- Visit the Applications, Forms and Fees page to download an application and fee schedule.
- Guide to Sheds, Carports and Garages (Estructuras accesorias como garajes, cobertizos, etc.)
- Guide to Decks (Proceso de solicitación de permisos para proyectos de deck [terrazas de madera])
- Deck Detail Guide
- Virtual inspections are available for some inspections. Find out more.
- Third party building inspections will be accepted from an approved list of inspectors.