Building and Trade Permits
Construction permits are required to enforce the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code in accordance with state law. The purpose of the building code is to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia, provided that buildings and structures should be permitted to be constructed at the least possible cost consistent with recognized standards of health, safety, energy conservation, and water conservation, including provisions necessary to prevent overcrowding, rodent or insect infestation, and garbage accumulation; and barrier-free provisions for the physically handicapped and aged.
- Items that Require a Building Permit
- Items that Require a Plumbing Permit
- Items that Require an Electrical Permit
- Items that Require a Mechanical Permit
- Items that do not Require a Permit
- Items that Require a Demolition Permit
- Guide to Sheds, Carports and Garages
- Guide to Decks
- Deck Detail Guide
- Visit the Applications, Forms and Fees page to download an application and fee schedule.
Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code