Fiber and Utility Franchises
- Please expect 4 weeks to process the "Agreement"
- Please expect 15 working days for the initial review of the Franchise Permit submission.
All submissions for review of plans and documents are submitted at Development Services, one stop counter, 9800 Godwin Drive, Manassas, VA 20110.Utility providers and their contractors will need to comply with all provisions and requirements imposed by the City's Design and Construction Standards Manual (DCSM), by the Franchise Permit as approved with detailed plan attached as "Exhibit B" of the Franchise Agreement and incorporated by reference.
With the submissions the utility permit providers will agree to payments of any necessary inspection charges and local ordinances, including but not limited to, street restoration fees and permit surcharges required by the City Ordinance where appropriate.
Approval of the Utility Permit commits the utility provider to comply with the provisions of the Virginia Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act, Chapter 10.3 of Title 56, § § 56-265.14 through 56-265.32, of the Code of Virginia (1950), as amended.
As part of any submission Utility providers will provide the City with an emergency contact telephone number(s) with every permit application submission.
- Sample Agreement
- Franchise Agreement
- Permit Application:
- Utility Franchise Permit
- A Performance bond for any work within the City’s R/W or easements. The bond amount is 115% of the cost of the work in these areas. This can be a Surety bond, Letter of Credit or cash.
- An Erosion bond for the erosion and sediment controls. The bond amount is 115% of the cost of materials needed for this work. This bond must be a Letter of Credit or cash only.
- City Liability Insurance:
- Permittee agrees to secure and carry insurance against liability for personal injury and property damage that may arise from the work performed under permit and/or from the operation of permitted activity - up to the one million dollars ($1,000,000) each occurrence to protect the City of Manassas and Department’s agents or employees: seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000) each occurrence to protect the City in event of suit. Grantee shall provide the City with a certificate of insurance showing General Comprehensive insurance coverage in the amount of Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000.00) naming the City as an additional insured.
- Fees: (Determined after application review and paid prior to approval)
- Annual Conduit User Fee per City (uncodified) Ordinance#0-98-01.
- Permit fee for the review based on footage.
- Restoration fee based on the amount of conduit placed under paved areas within the Right-of-Way.
Additional Requirements Are as Follows:
- Underground installations shall be at a minimum depth of forty-two inches (42").
- All underground installations shall be constructed of conduits not greater than six inches (6") in diameter, unless otherwise authorized by any Permit issued pursuant this section.
- All conduits shall be either enclosed concrete, encased in steel, or covered by a steel plate.
- Utility providers shall provide the City with a certificate of insurance showing General Comprehensive insurance coverage in the amount of Two Million Dollars ($2,000,000.00) naming the City as an additional insured.
Utility providers, nor their contractors, will be permitted to work in the City's Right-of-Way on Holidays as specified in City Code and must conform with any time limits imposed on the work,
Utility providers will maintain accurate as-built plans and profiles of all work and make such records available to the City upon request.