Site, Utility & Excavation Permits


Land disturbance, utility installation, and the use of City right-of way, is regulated by the City of Manassas. Permits for these activities must be obtained, this includes Site Development Permits after site or subdivision plans are approved. In addition, the city requires an erosion permit be obtained, including a certified Responsible Land Disturber (RLD), if the disturbed area of the project exceeds 2,500 square feet.

Site Development Permit
Following the approval of final site plans, a site development permit must be obtained and applicable fees paid, prior to commencement of any construction of site improvements. This permit covers the inspection of all construction items, including road improvements, parking lots, water, sewer, and storm systems, but excluding building and trade permits. This permit is valid as long as there is a valid performance bond posted with the City of Manassas.  This permit may also be issued in conjunction with an approved Early Grading plan.

Land Disturbance Permit

This permit shall be obtained to insure compliance with erosion control and all other sections of the Design and Construction Standards Manual when no other permit is required. It is required when land disturbance exceeds 2,500 square feet and no site plan or subdivision plan is in the city for review. The applicant must submit drawings outlining proposed disturbances and erosion control practices (A house location survey, record plat, city topography map with parcel overlay, or a non-engineered outline of the lot, correctly drawn to scale, may be used as a basis for this plan.) The drawings shall display the disturbed area by offset distances to the property lines and shall depict required erosion control devices. A minimum letter of credit or cash of $1,000 is required unless the "Agreement in Lieu of a Plan" is utilized. The funds will be refunded when the disturbed areas are stabilized and work has been completed.

A land disturbance permit is also required in conjunction with a rough grading plan or building permit for demolition application. A detailed cost estimate of the required erosion and sediment controls must be submitted on the city's plan coversheet.

Right of Way Permit (No Excavation)

A permit is required to store materials or equipment on a public street for construction and to close any portion of a public street or sidewalk during construction. All closures of streets and sidewalks as well as any closure on major roads will require the preparation and approval of a maintenance of traffic plan as part of the permit review and approval process.

Excavation Permit (See Below for Franchises)
An excavation permit is obtained to allow the installation of all underground services and their related facilities (gas, water, cable, telephone, and sewer); and to construct entrances that are being connected to a public roadway. Prior to issuance of the permit, a bond is posted with the city to ensure that any damages within city right-of-way or dedicated easements are repaired. If the applicant does not perform the necessary repairs, then the bond will be forfeited in its entirety.

Excavation Permit (Franchises)

A franchise from the City of Manassas is required for any utility provider passing through or providing services in a City street. Any franchise for a period of more than 5 years requires an advertised request for bids and a bid opening at a City Council meeting, followed by a public hearing and adoption of an ordinance granting the franchise. Prior to initiating a new franchise request, please call 703-257-8382 to obtain additional information on submission and the review process.

Following award of a franchise, an excavation permit is required to allow installation in the street. Franchises are also required to maintain valid insurance and a performance bond for the duration of the franchise.

Applicable Regulations

get notified Stay up-to-date on what is happening by. . . .