150th Public Art Submission
In 2023, the City of Manassas will celebrate its 150th Anniversary. The City is seeking a piece of public art in celebration of this event. The theme of the celebration is "Historic Heart. Modern Beat." This leaves the artist many options. The piece is to be completed before the end of 2023 and will be showcased on public grounds within the City of Manassas.
This request is open to artists who create physical art, i.e., paintings, sculpture, etc. who demonstrate creativity, professionalism, and relevant experience. Art pieces will be judged for creativity and sustainability, as the piece will likely be outside.
Selection process & Timeline
The selection process will be conducted by a committee of professionals and members of the City of Manassas arts group.
Artists are invited to submit their qualifications and proposal concepts, preferably including sketches or other images, as well as written descriptions and a preliminary cost estimate.
Selected artists will be asked to elaborate fully on their proposals, with complete details on all materials, vendors to be used, engineering requirements (if any) and a final cost proposal. More than one piece may be selected for this phase and for the final phase.
The City of Manassas will negotiate a final contract with selected artist(s). Our goal is to have the artwork completed in 2023.
Phase one submissions should include:
- Contact information
- Statement of Qualifications: This may be in the form of a resume, or a written history of your background as an artist including relevant experience. You may choose to include references of clients with whom you have worked on similar projects.
- Written project proposal. This may be brief, but should identify the methods and materials you propose to use, and an initial cost estimate including your fee and all costs. Please address any particular challenges either to the installation or maintenance of your proposed work. You may also of course describe the artistic intent behind your proposal.
- Proposal images (optional, but encouraged). Images may include mockups or sketches of the proposed work. They are less necessary in instances where your examples of previous work provide a good sense of what you are proposing.
- Previous Work Images. Up to 12 images (and no less than 4) of previous work that demonstrates your artistic sensibility and experience with similar projects.
- Image narrative. A separate document with numbered descriptions of your Proposal and Previous Work Images. Typically, this would include title, dimensions, materials, and year completed.
Notes on submitting images: Images should be approximately 1 mb, preferably .jpg files. Filenames should include your name and be numbered to correspond to your image narrative (i.e., “Johnson1.jpg”, “Johnson2.jpg”, etc.)