MCPD Cadet Program
Salary - $15.10 Hourly
Location - Manassas City Police Station, VA
Job Type - Part-time
Department - Police
Applications are being accepted to establish an eligibility list for Police Cadet positions at the Manassas City Police Department. The individuals selected in this role will be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week.
The purpose of this position will be to support the police department’s community service objectives by participating in community events, assisting with traffic control, providing pedestrian safety, and other similar activities under close supervision, receives on-the-job training in basic law enforcement skills, traffic control, crime prevention, communications, first aid, crime scene search, arrest procedures, criminal investigation, and other similar activities. Performs clerical duties and other administrative tasks as assigned.Essential Job Functions
- Supports the police department’s community service objectives by participating in community events, assisting with traffic control, and providing pedestrian safety;
- Participates in on-the-job basic police skills training in the areas, including but not limited to, traffic control, investigations, crime prevention, communications, first aid and crime scene investigation procedures;
- Must remain enrolled at least half-time as a degree seeking student at a nationally or regionally accredited undergraduate school;
- Performs various administrative functions and other similar duties as assigned;
- Must have the ability to comprehend the fundamentals of law enforcement;
- Must have the ability to acquire knowledge of State laws and City codes and ordinances;
- Must have the ability to safely operate motor vehicles;
- Must have the ability to maintain effective relationships with fellow employees and the public;
- Must have the ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Must have the ability to maintain a high level of ethical standards, integrity, and be truthful at all times.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to: Completion of High School Grade 11. Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver’s license.
- Professional working proficiency, or higher, in a foreign language or American sign Language.
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be between 17 and 22 years old and will complete a High School Diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED) issued by a state department of education certified by the State of Virginia within six months from the time of application.
- Be between 17 and 22 years old and enrolled at least half-time as a degree seeking student at a nationally or regionally accredited undergraduate school.
- Employment is contingent upon continued enrollment at least half-time as a degree seeking student at a nationally or regionally accredited undergraduate school for incumbents that have completed the High School Diploma or General Education Diploma.
- Must apply and be selected for employment for Police Officer I before reaching age 23. Failing to be selected for Police Officer I before age 23 will result in termination of employment.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident; Permanent Resident must be eligible for U.S. citizenship by age 21.
- Must successfully complete a criminal background investigation, polygraph examination and be able to meet the public safety/police officer medical standards.
- Incumbents shall not use any tobacco products on and off duty starting at the time of appointment and must be willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement acknowledging the prohibition of the use of tobacco products both on and off duty.
**Disclaimer: The use of tobacco products will disqualify applicants for consideration of this position and any future applications.**