Trash and Recycling
Trash, Recycling, and Yard Waste Collection Delays
The City of Manassas’s trash and recycling contractor is dealing with a number of issues that are causing problems with the collection of residential trash, recycling and yard waste. Some challenges that the contractor is facing are driver job shortages and supply chain issues which is affecting maintenance of trash/recycling trucks, as well as arrival dates for new trucks. This problem is not just happening here in the City of Manassas, the same challenges exist throughout the Northern Virginia area as well as statewide and nationally.
Collection crews service approximately 10,500 residential stops in the City of Manassas - With an average of three carts per household which equates to over 31,500 carts set out weekly, in addition to the bulk items set out for pickup and the paper yard bags.
Over the past few weeks, we have seen a rising number of collection routes not being completed until the next day. As the summer progresses, the delayed collections are going to continue due to the hot weather days, storms and equipment failures.
How you can help:
- If you did not receive your regular weekly service, report it online here!
- If carts are not emptied in your area, your route has probably been delayed. Please leave your carts at the curb so the collection crew can empty them the next day. Trash and recycling crews start to catch up the following morning.
To attain our goal of maintaining a recycling rate over 50%, the City of Manassas asks residents to follow these simple steps:
- Rinse out food containers before putting them in the recycle cart
- Recycle cardboard, paper, plastic and/or glass containers and metal cans
- When in doubt – Leave it out! If residents are unsure about recyclable materials, leave it out of recycling so as not to contaminate the recycling.
Household Hazardous Waste, Electronic Waste, and Shredding
The 2023 Household Hazardous Waste, Electronic Waste, and Shredding schedule is here, so mark your calendars now and get ready to recycle!
Scheduling Glass Items for Collection
As a safety precaution, all glass that is scheduled for collection (mirrors, windows, tabletops, doors) must be packed in cardboard, sealed closed with tape, and labeled “GLASS”. Unpacked or loose glass will not be collected.
Please call the Trashline on (703) 257-8252 or email us for more information!