Public Assistance Programs
- Medical Assistance was established under Title XIX of the Federal Social Security Act to enable states to provide medical and health-related services for certain individuals and families with low incomes.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) The overall goal of SNAP is to alleviate hunger and malnutrition by increasing resources for the purchase of food for a nutritious diet.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(TANF) provides temporary cash assistance and employment-related services to enable families with child to become self-supporting.
- Energy Assistance programs (EAP)assists low-income households in meeting their immediate home energy needs.
- Fuel Assistance applications are accepted on the second Tuesday in October through the second Friday in November.
- Crisis Assistance assists low-income households with energy related emergencies. Applications are accepted November 1st through March 15th.
- Cooling Assistance assists household in acquiring or repairing cooling equipment and/or payment of electric bills to operate cooling equipment. Applications are accepted June 15 through August 15th.
- Workforce Development Programs consist of:
- Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW)
- SNAP Employment and Training (SNAP E&T)
How to apply for Assistance
- Complete an application
- Apply online for benefits
- Apply for assistance by phone 855-635-4370
- Apply for Medical Assistance only by phone 855-242-8282
- Get a paper application during office hours at local Dept. of Social Services
- Call and request application be mailed to you
- Print off paper application from state website / Coverva for Medical Assistance application
- File application
- Leave the printed application at the Local Department of Social Services; or mail, fax the application to the local Department of Social Services.
- Depending on the type of assistance you are requesting, you may need to be interviewed.
Other things you can do with Commonhelp
- Check your benefits
- Renew your benefits
- Link your account to a case
- Report changes to your case
- Update your account