About the Project

 DJI_0473    DJI_0475

Check out these images of the ongoing construction at the Museum site.  The Museum is now open. New exhibit spaces will reopen this fall.

Architects:  GWWO
Civil Engineering: Ross and France
Landscape architects: RHI
Exhibit Design: Capitol Museum Services
General Contractor: R.J. Crowley


The Museum’s Origins

Originally planned as a temporary exhibit to celebrate the centennial of the City’s founding in 1873, the Museum opened in 1974 in leased space and relocated to the current permanent facility in 1991. The building was designed by noted architect, Carlton Abbott, of Carlton Abbott and Partners in Williamsburg, Virginia. Designed to provide homage to the City’s agricultural and Civil War history, with traditional materials and a fort-like form, the building has served the community well, hosting exciting exhibits and community events.  The front lawn of the building serves as the City’s “town green” and hosts a variety of formal and informal events and activities. 

Previous Expansion Plans
An expansion of the museum was planned in 2008 but was set aside due to the economic conditions at the time. Between then and now the City has explored a variety of options for expanding the museum including building a new structure that would house both the museum and a new public library. Based on community input and the economic realities of construction costs it was determined that the Manassas City branch of the Prince William Library System would initially be housed in a storefront and the focus for the Manassas Museum would be on renovating the existing building and adding a special exhibits gallery that could also be used for programs and events.

get notified Stay up-to-date on what is happening by. . . .